If you plan to do any traveling with kids this summer — either on the road or in the skies — you know how important it is to have a few things that will keep kids busy. Hopefully books are on that list. My kids do their best reading when they are confined (bwah ha ha), and while personal DVD players and gaming systems are can’t-miss ways to keep kids quiet, I’m happy to announce that Jet Blue is encouraging kids to take some of the time in the air to read.
Soar with Reading is a joint effort of Jet Blue and PBS Kids. You can track your child’s reading minutes and/or books read this summer, and even download some activities and enter to win an awesome prize that would benefit you (with a fun family vacation) and your library (with $10,000 of Random House Children’s books).
Other highlights of the program:
- For every reader who registers on SoarwithReading.com, JetBlue will make a book donation to a child through First Book, up to 10,000 books.
- This summer, Jet Blue is also sending crewmembers out to volunteer at kid-friendly events at local libraries all across the country. These global guides will read books to children, share stories about their job and their exciting travel adventures (Click through the link to see how to request a visit at your library)
- Child passengers will also receive activity kits on JetBlue flights as well!
I received a couple of sample kits so I could check out the booty, and I’m also happy to be able to offer one to one of you (U.S. residents only).
The items all come in a extra-cool string bag. I like that this blue color works for boys or girls, and it also has a cool drink holder pouch that you can’t see in the picture of Kyle with it on because it’s on the other side. I’ve never seen a string backpack with a holder like that! Also my two bags each had a different CD and book, though I can’t guarantee how that would work out at the airport, but it’s worth a try to ask if are traveling with more than one child.
- Steve Songs CD — Though I limit electronics, music CDs are great entertainment for my kids in the car. If Kyle gets too chatty, we just slip in one of his favorite CDs and plug in the backseat headphones, and he’s good to go.
- a book (mine were both Magic Tree House books, which are great read-alouds, or independent reads for boys or girls).
- Soar with Reading activity booklet
- Take-a-Long Hooper so that you can take pictures with him on your journey (you can also send postcards from the website)
Leave a comment if you’d like to win your own Jet Blue Summer Reading pack. I’ll announce the winner right here on June 20.
- The winner of The American Heiress audiobook is #14 Kim.
- The winner of the HIT Entertainment DVDs is #8 Natalia.
Keep up with us this summer: Check out our current giveaways. Subscribe to our feed or video reviews on YouTube. Follow us @5M4B on Twitter or on Facebook.
Jennifer Donovan will be making two separate trips with her kids this summer — one by air and one by SUV. She looks forward to both and might string together a post or two about them at Snapshot.
Colleen Turner says
My son would love this! He just turned six and we are doing lots of reading this summer, so I am sure he would get a kick out of having his own little bag to carry them to the park in :). Thanks for the giveaway opportunity!
And for traveling with kids this Summer, you can never have too many hand wipes and sanitizer. There’s always something that gets spilled or needs to be wiped up. I’ve gotten some free sample packs of wipes recently from http://bit.ly/dailysample They update the freebies all the time, so there’s always something new!
S Club Mama says
more books are always welcome in this house!
You won! Congrats. Please reply to this email notification with your shipping info.
What a great idea! We are taking a big road trip out west this summer and I’m trying to form a “plan” for in-car activities besides movies. 🙂
Some Lucky Dog says
Hurray for Jet Blue for encouraging reading!
Alison S. says
I love this idea. We just flew recently with our son and this would have been a nice addition to our entertainment for him. 🙂
Reading pack is great!
Count me in
Staci A says
What a fun pack! It looks perfect to keep a little one entertained on a long trip!
Wendy M says
This is a perfect reading pack. I have a beginning reader who has been reading like crazy this past month. He is just about ready to start reading longer chapter books! So exciting.
TRACY HEYER says
The kids would love this. They love to read and love getting book’s.
cool prize pack-summer is such a great time to read-nice activity when it is super hot out-and the library is always nice and cool!
What a neat program!
mearley1979 at gmail dot com
Sounds like a great program!! My grandson will be 6 in October and we are working on reading this summer before first grade.
Thanks JetBlue and PBS!!
fun prize pack!!!
Christine Jensen says
This looks like a fun prize pack! Thanks for the chance to win.
Kristin G says
This looks great!
my son would love it, he loves hooper
nannypanpan at gmail.com
Great giveaway, thanks!