Worms, monsters, zebras and hippopotamuses are only a few of the imaginative children’s book characters to appear in specially-marked Cheerios® this year as part of the Cheerios Spoonfuls of Stories® program. Through the program, which is celebrating its 10-year anniversary this spring, Cheerios distributes six million bilingual children’s books from award-winning authors free inside cereal boxes.
We’re thrilled to be promoting the Spoonfuls of Stories® for the third year in a row. This year 6 fantastic authors, including Toni Morrison and Mem Fox, have provided stories for Cheerios.
Check out the Spoonfuls of Stories® for information on all the books included this year (available now while supplies last), and also their partnership with Jennie Garth and First Book.
These are the books you’ll find in this year’s specially marked boxes:
- If I Were A Jungle Animal, by Tom Ellery, tells the story of Morton, stuck in the outfield during a baseball game, wishing he was somewhere more fun, like the jungle, until he realizes jungle animals may not have it so good.
- Mostly Monsterly, by Tammi Sauer and illustrated by Scott Magoon, follows Bernadette, who is mostly monsterly, as she tries to fit in at monster school.
- Can I Just Take a Nap?, by Ron Rauss and illustrated by Rob Shepperson, details poor Aiden McDoodle as he tries to find a quiet place to take a nap.
- Peeny Butter Fudge, by Toni Morrison and Slade Morrison, illustrated by Joe Cepeda, chronicles a grandmother spending a fun-filled day with her grandkids, ending with baking the family secret batch peeny butter fudge (recipe included!). This is my favorite of the books as it highlights the importance of family.
- Noodle & Lou, by Liz Garton Scanlon and illustrated by Arthur Howard, is the story of an unusual friendship between a worm with low self-esteem and a bird who unfailingly lifts him up.
- Hello Baby!, by Mem Fox and illustrated by Steve Jenkins, is a sweet look at baby animals ending with the most treasured baby of all.
Cheerios are already a fixture in our home and I love that they continue to promote reading through these wonderful books, which are printed in both English and Spanish. Thanks to Cheerios for 10 great years of Spoonfuls of Stories®, and here’s to 10 more.
I love this promotion! Such a fun thing to get a book AND cereal! The selections are always great too.